Tuesday, February 5, 2008

INTERVIEW: KENAN BELL

[photo by Alice Dison]

A friend recently told me about Kenan Bell, a talented young rapper from LA who recently grabbed attention for his witty sampling of Morrissey's "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" on his song "Save Your Life." Being both a Morrissey fan and a lover of hip-hop I curiously checked him out and was pleased to find it both innovative and catchy, and was impressed by his other songs as well. Even better, Kenan was nice enough to answer some questions for us here at Live From Hell's Basement.

AL: How did you first get into hip-hop ? What hip-hop artists did you listen to growing up?

KB: I never really got into hip hop, it’s something that kinda got into me. My pops got me a Kool Moe Dee “Wild Wild West” Vinyl and I remember Moms buying me Bell Biv Devoe and Arrested Development but then she got saved and took all my rap tapes away. I found them though, and my older half-brother also had whatever rap record was out and I’d hear them when he came over for the weekend. Growing up my influences were from KRS-One to Kriss Kross and Ahmad to ABC...from Public Enemy to PM Dawn…N2Deep to NWA. Honestly I heard anything and everything I could and still do.

AL: How did growing up in LA affect your music?

KB: Growing up in LA was imperative. Super crucial! Being surrounded by so many different cultures was awesome. Musically, I’d absorb elements from each and sculpt my sound from those in my head. The gangsta rap culture was thriving along with the G-funk era so I was exposed to all the West Coast rap daily in the streets by cars with aftermarket stereo systems.

AL: You rap about not drinking or doing drugs. In the entertainment business where alcohol and drug use seem to be glamorized by the media, how do you remain sober when you are easily surrounded by it?

KB: Frankly, Shirley Temples are way too tasty and I have control issues. Some say I have too much. I agree sometimes but I don’t like to mess with my body and if it tells me it doesn’t like something I listen. Ralphing isn’t a good thing. I don’t need to be intoxicated to have fun. Mind over matter. I don’t even like to take pain pills when I get a root canal. But for serious, I’m a thinker not a drinker as cliché as it sounds. I enjoy people enjoying themselves. And I let others do my drugs too. Reefer is not a drug.

AL: Sampling Morrissey in hip-hop is definitely a unique and brave move, but you made it work and did it really well. What kind of response have you been getting with that song?

KB: The response has been simply overwhelming. People from all over the world have voiced their opinions via Morrissey-solo.com. The majority has accepted the song as tasteful and innovative while a select few have seen it as a diss to the Moz himself. I did the song out of respect and am proud that it is being well-received.

AL: Ten years ago it wasn’t as easy for independent hip-hop artists to gain widespread exposure. In today’s society, almost any musician can gain fame and business connections with a Myspace profile or a Youtube account. Do you think there are any cons to using this type of technology to promote yourself?

KB: There is the potential for oversaturation. I don’t really need to see Puff or Soulja Boy tell ‘em urinate on my CPU. What happened to the allure and mystique? Artists sometimes like themselves too much and maybe want to share their every moment. Video killed the radio star..Internet killed the video star.
AL: What artists would you like to collaborate with, aside from Morrissey of course?

KB: I would like to collabo with Jimi, Kurt, Bob, Mike Jack, Stevie, Prince, Sting, Sade, 2Pac, Biggie, Dre, Timbo, Pharrell, and Kanye. All the greats. I am a fan of good music in general. I’d like to work with anyone living or deceased who knows how to create masterpieces.

AL: Your EP comes out at the end of the month. Can we expect a full album release in the near future?

KB: Yes actually I am recording my LP at the moment. I’m working daily on new material and plan to be releasing a full length on Lass Recordings later this year.

AL: Any other projects you're working on?

KB: I’m working on a made for TV film loosely based on my life and a motivational book on tape.

Kenan's Good Day EP drops at the end of this month. There are record release parties coming up on February 29 at Feel the Noise in San Diego and on March 1 at The Scene in Glendale. You can enjoy Kenan's music and get more information at his myspace.

No comments: